Jul 14, 2014

Death and Wills

Quaid-e-Azam's Will
Source: Wikipedia.org image by Khalid Mahmood with CC BY-SA-3.0
Sorry for the silence the past week. Some family concerns had to be attended to.

Death

Death often comes like a thief in the night, unless one has a lingering disease or suffering from cancer when the doctor may possibly tell him how much time he has left.

Today's subject is Death because my grandfather died. Death is the focal point in a major civil law subject called Wills and Succession. It is odd how one's children can lay claim on a person's properties while he is still alive. I am not a lawyer yet but I had the urge to set things straight. Nevertheless, with the funeral preparation going on, I chose to not discuss the matter and decided to chose a much better time.

All these happenings reminded me to start my readings again. I intend to spend the next three days of the week reading my lovely Civil codal, chewing every provision with gusto, tearing it apart and putting them together so my brittle memory won't ever forget each and every single one of them.

Don't you just love Civil Law? I love Civil Law subject (even if I have a feeling it hates me), it is close to my heart and the cases are utterly digestible like 'chismis'. Some of them are epic and antiquated. Oftentimes,when I am reading those landmark cases, I would find myself in the midst of a telenovela setting with all colorful characters coming to life. This is my simple attempt to make for easier recall come recitation time. I would even go to the extent of making funny twists on the story and make up crazy names for the main protagonists.

Back to the subject of death, if one is dirt poor then a will is useless, since there is nothing to bequeath. If one is wealthy, by all means make a will, it will give some sort of order to everything that's left behind. Would I make a will when I'm in my final years or before? Maybe, but for now, I better get back to my codal.

RELATED
Civil Law Digests

YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO READ THESE DIGESTS

Javellana v. Ledesma
Icasiano v. Icasiano
Barut v. Cabacungan
Cruz v. Villasor
Nera v. Rimando
Garcia v. Lacuesta

No comments:

Post a Comment