Feb 11, 2015

Law Studies: Love and Hate



Lovin'

I have a love and hate relationship with my law studies.   I love it for the challenge.  Finishing law would mean that I can start moving on to other pressing matters and journeys.

I love having to be on my feet and get pressed for time because everyday is like a huge deadline.  Each day I have to read at least 5 hours to get all the laws, the cases, and commentaries in my head although some days I'm not able to do that.

I love being forced to make every second count.  I love having to squeeze every hour for all its worth whether it be for reading 10 cases per hour (full text okay), trying to get a decent bath in less that 5 minutes, and skipping a workout or squeeze one within a 15-minute frame.  I love the stress but then I am only human so...

Some hatin'

Studying law as an irregular student due to work and other life responsibilities mean that you do not have a the permanent support group in law school.  It is good to have a study buddy who will kick you ass when you feel lazy.

It is not a joke being in law school when you have to think about all the things you have to finish and read before you become a lawyer.  Graduating from law school is like a huge cliff rift that I need to pass through before moving on to bigger things.

I have a millions things that I wanted to do and ideas to put into action but every time, my law studies just acts like medieval warden with a whip in hand reminding me that I got to finish law first, and that it's law or never.

Then there is the bar exams which to me right now seems like a huge 20-foot wall mainly because it another hurdle a law student needs to overcome.  It is not so much of an issue of studying for it, but more of this fear of what is waiting for me on the other side.

I am thinking will I be joining a law firm, will I be continuing with current line of work which is quite unrelated to law, will I be able to reconcile law practice with my other interests?  Will I take more specialize studies in law or in IT? I dream of writing or publishing law books one day when I am qualified enough to write one.  Finally, will be able to reconcile all these varied interests?

All these things are going through my mind and uncertainty can be exciting and daunting all at the same time.  All these things take time and prioritizing and strategy.   Nevertheless,  I have to be a responsible adult to plan my next strategy and make things work.

For now, I just have to boost the love part of this relationship, to tidy me up during the rough part.  Definitely, I will not be taking the bar this year, so that leaves me time to be productive and harmonize for the meantime my love and hate relationship with my law studies.

This is a bit of a rant but these posts do not get as much hits as my case digests, so I guess it's okay.  How about you, do you absolutely love or slightly hate being a law student? Let me know.

RELATED POSTS:

My Love and Hate Relationship with Stress
Working While Studying Law
I'm Back in School, Oh Yeah!

The Blogger

Hi! I'm a law student from Manila, Philippines.  I did Political Science, then Industrial Relations major in H.R. (postgrad) studies from UP.  I vlog, weightlift, experiment with new makeup looks, try Bollywood and bellydance steps, and rant about my cray life in my YouTube channel.  Once in a blue moon, I create content for another YT channel,  10+ blogs,  20+ FB pages and in HubPages.  Check out my official site.  


No comments:

Post a Comment