Mar 2, 2015

The Reluctant Lawyer-To-Be


I was trying to decide on what title to put on this post.  I could have chosen 'Reluctant Law Student' but for the purpose of my future world-domination plans,  I chose the 'Reluctant Lawyer.'  I have this weird feeling that I have already lived the life of a lawyer just by the experiences of family and those close to me who are members of the profession.

I never wanted to be a lawyer, now that is offically out hehe.  I actually dreamt of becoming a doctor.  I even applied for a medical scholarship and was given one after graduating from high school.  I could read voraciously all those Health and Home subscriptions that my mother collected and the idea of being able to diagnose and treat diseases appealed more to me.  This despite the fact that there was no doctor from my family.

To this day,  I am still interested in all things medical except blood although I love watching those crime investigation shows on cable. I still get a kick hanging out in hospitals though I avoided the mortuary.  I get transfixed looking at medical people wearing their impeccable white gowns and wonder if they have these coats in many cuts or is there a need to wear them fresh every single day.

I cannot say the same for generic barongs (a native Filipino outfit) and suits for court appearances really do not leave much of an impression on me.  A lawyer needs to look respectable and imposing in court, I know but there is something about white coats that draw me.

Yeah, you could say I am reluctant to become a lawyer.  I remember that sickening feeling during the start of enrolment during my first semesters in law school.  It was weird having that feeling.  At that time, it felt that I was signing up to be in some jail for another semester.  A few months into law school I felt a strange enjoyment out of the 'torture' that I get from the barrage of reading materials.  That's when I started enjoying it.

A month ago, during one of the social events I attended,  I met this person who said that both his parents are lawyers but never practiced the profession.  I thought wow,  I really thought he was joking but he was not!  I also have a friend who's now a lawyer but did not practice and instead learned about being a professional make-up artist while doing non-law related business on the side.

I look forward to finishing law school but it is still more of a faroff goal for me,  I cannot put a thumb to it, it is a weird feeling.  There are more pressing and nagging priorities for me.  I get distracted easily by work and other responsibilities.

Do you have similar or opposing thoughts on the subject? Do share in the comments section below.

RELATED POSTS

The Blogger
Hi! I'm a law student from Manila, Philippines.  I did Political Science, then Industrial Relations major in H.R. (postgrad) studies from UP.  I vlog, weightlift, experiment with new makeup looks, try Bollywood and bellydance steps, and rant about my cray life in my YouTube channel.  Once in a blue moon, I create content for another YT channel,  10+ blogs,  20+ FB pages and in HubPages.  Check out my official site.  

No comments:

Post a Comment